One of the common health conditions that people experience is bleeding gums. Moreover, what’s even unique is that the bleeding gum may be around one tooth in the mouth. Here are the reasons for gum bleeding around one tooth, and what can be done about it;
This details we have gathered are what the team of emergency dentists sydn have researched and gathered through their experience in this field.
Causes of gum bleeding around one tooth
The most common causes of this gum problem are gum disease, improper brushing/flossing, and an abscessed tooth.
- Gum disease
The leading cause of bleeding gums is gum disease. It occurs when people practice poor dental hygiene. The bacteria in their mouth develops plaque on their teeth, and the bacteria then causes the bleeding. An early sign of gum disease is swelling/reddening of the gum.
- Improper mouth brushing/flossing
It’s not enough to brush or floss your teeth. It has to be done regularly and adequately. When gum bleeding is confined to only one tooth, then it indicates that brushing and flossing have not been done correctly. This then allows food particles and debris to settle around the tooth causing inflammation and decay in the area surrounding that tooth.
- Abscessed tooth
An abscessed tooth is a tooth with a pus-filled cavity that results from inflammation, usually caused by bacterial infection. It happens when the hole in the tooth is not treated, and the bacteria responsible for the decay spreads to different parts of the tooth to infect it.
Prevention and Remedies
- To prevent the problem of bleeding around one tooth, here are important things to do;
- Brush your teeth at least twice daily and be sure to follow proper brushing techniques
- Floss daily
- Use an antiseptic mouthwash to rinse your mouth daily.
- Eat a balanced diet that’s rich in calcium and Vitamin C
- Drink lots of water to wash off food from your teeth
- Do not use tobacco products.
- Beware of extremely cold or hot foods and drinks
If you notice you have gum bleeding around one tooth, visit your dentist for advice and professional help to solve the dental problem.