Oral health plays a significant role in our overall well-being. Our teeth and breaks down the food that helps our digestive system. This process allows our body to absorb the minerals and nutrients effectively. In turn, we can enjoy the benefits of a healthier lifestyle. However, oral health problems may compromise these benefits. Simple tooth decay can turn into a severe infection if left untreated. And worse, the infection can spread into our throat, heart, and brains. The best way to keep our oral health on tip-top shape is good oral hygiene and dental checkup. A regular visit to the dentist is the key to healthier teeth and gums. You can check out Dental Excellence, located at Woden, ACT if you want to learn more about the best dental services online by clicking on the link provided.
The Significance of Dental Checkup
Brushing, flossing, and rinsing with mouthwash alone is not sufficient in keeping our teeth and gums healthy. Sure, those methods are the best to take care of oral health at home; however, a dental checkup is still the most efficient method. Only your dentist can provide professional diagnosis and treatment that have 100% effectivity against tooth decay or gum problems. The initial dental exam can tell many things about the health condition of your mouth. Dentists also can check for other adverse health problems like a sore throat or even cancer. This capability allows them to make the proper preventive methods to keep you safe and healthy. Some clinics even offer emergency dentistry for severe cases.
Basic Dental Checkup
- Dental Exam: Dental exam is the necessary procedure of checking your teeth for tooth decay and your gums for gum problems. The typical steps required are the physical examination of your teeth and gums and X rays for better internal visualisation. After the dental exam, your dentist can tell if you have tooth decay or gum problems. They will talk to you about the best methods of treatment and aftercare.
- Cleaning: Cleaning involves the removal of plaque and tartar buildup on your teeth. These two elements are the most common causes of tooth decay, bad breath, and gum infection. By putting a dental abrasive gel on the surface of your teeth, plaque and tartar are removed more effectively than brushing.
- Fillings: Fillings may be required to fill in the gaps of chipped or broken teeth. The procedure often involves the drilling of the damaged area until it is smooth. Then, composite materials are used to make the teeth look natural again. The colour is adjusted to match the rest of your teeth, which restores the quality of your smile.
- Root Canal: Root canal is a complicated procedure that requires several appointments to complete. Despite the method’s complexity, the primary purpose of the root canal procedure is to save the tooth from further damage because of tooth decay. The soft pulp in the centre of the tooth is removed to prevent the infection from doing more damage. It is not always required. The root canal is only suggested if there’s nothing left to do to save the tooth from extraction.
Cosmetic dentistry is also a part of the dental checkup. Although it may seem that most of the procedures involved only concerns the aesthetic quality of your teeth, they also provide health benefits. Some of the techniques in cosmetic dentistry can help improve the quality of your bite and teeth alignment. These benefits can help you chew your food effectively and even improve your speech.
- Veneers: Ideal for a crooked and chipped tooth without the invasive method.
- Teeth Whitening: The most common and natural approach to restore the quality of your smile.
- Dental Crowns: Ideal for protecting damaged tooth.
- Braces and Retainers: Perfect method to align crooked teeth.
- Extraction: If the damage took most of the tooth’s capability to function, this method is ideal.
- Dentures: Ideal for tooth loss and inexpensive.
The Benefits of Dental Checkup
The best thing about a dental checkup is that you get to maximise the efficiency of keeping your oral health in the best condition. As we mentioned above, some of the procedures cannot be done at home. Here’s a summary of the benefits that you can gain from routine dental checkup:
- Tooth decay prevention and treatment
- Prevention of bad breath
- Keeps your teeth clean and your gums healthy
- Early detection of possible oral problems
- Professional diagnosis and aftercare recommendations
What You Can Do for Your Oral Health at Home
Here are a few useful tips that you can do at home to keep your teeth and gums healthy and free of bacteria:
- Brush your teeth thoroughly with a soft-bristled toothbrush for approximately two minutes.
- Use a toothpaste with fluoride. It helps reinforce the enamel on your teeth that makes them stronger.
- Floss gently to avoid damaging your gums and to clean gaps between your teeth.
- Rinse with mouthwash to kill bacteria at the side of the mouth and palate.
- Scrape your tongue with a dental scraper to get rid of the bacteria from food, saliva, and beverages.
- Repeat the entire process at least twice a day for maxim efficiency.
TIP: Visit your dentist at least twice a year to keep your oral health in the best condition.