Thrush, which is also called oropharyngeal candidiasis, occurs when there is an overgrowth of a yeast-shaped fungus called Candida albicans in the mouth and throat. This usually happens when the person experiences body changes like an illness, pregnancy, weakened immune system and others. This medical condition is also common among infants but there are different home remedy for thrush.
Thrush is treated depending on the cause of the infection, but for some, it will just disappear after a few weeks. If the disease remains for a prolonged period, it is recommended to consult a doctor. However, there is also a different home remedy for thrush that you can try.
If you have oral thrush and you are looking for home remedies that can reduce discomfort, you can:
Home Remedies to Treat Thrush
Other people prefer to cure oral thrush by using home remedies. Most of these are found in the kitchen and can be easily prepared. Some can be bought over the counter without the need of any prescription. Home remedies for oral thrush include:
1. Pure virgin coconut oil applied to the affected area.
2. Apply gentian violet to the mouth three times a day or as prescribed by the doctor.
3. Dilute baking soda on one tsp/8 oz water. Use this to rinse.
4. Dilute concentration of apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, or essential oils and rinse the mouth with the mixture.
5. Rinse mouth with salt dissolved in warm water.
6. Eat yogurt many times a day. It is recommended to buy unsweetened yogurt.
7. Drink lemon juice or use it as a mouth rinse.
8. Gargle a mixture of 1 cup water, and 2 drops oregano oil.
9. Mix 1 teaspoon of unfiltered apple cider vinegar with 1 cup of water. Swish this through the mouth. Do not swallow.
10. Buy Vitamin C or ascorbic acid and take this to enhance your immune system.
Some of the homeopathic approaches are not backed by scientific studies and are merely recommendations based upon anecdotal reports. However, some people claim that these home remedies are effective in healing thrush.